GALA (Global Academy of Liberal Arts)
What is it?
The Global Academy of Liberal Arts (GALA) is an international network of liberal arts universities working together to broaden the experience of students and staff. The first network of its kind, GALA was founded by Bath Spa University Vice-Chancellor, Professor Christina Slade, in 2014 and boasts 16 university members from all around the world.
- Claremont Graduate University
- Communications University of China
- Concordia University, Faculty of Fine Arts
- Tec de Monterrey, Santa Fe
- The School of Form in the University of Social Sciences and Humanities, Poland
- University of Adelaide, JM Coetzee Centre for Creative Practice
- University of Parma, Italy
- University of Stockholm, Sweden
- University of Udine, Italy
- University of Utrecht, Centre for the Humanities, The Netherlands
How can I get involved?
GALA has a yearly conference alternately at its partner institutions across the world. Bath Spa offers its students the opportunity to attend these conferences. Students also get the chance to attend a summer school at the host institution. The applications usually go out in the second term just after the Christmas holidays or in the new year. These scholarships usually fall in the summer term over the university holiday, all students are able to apply however spaces are limited (usually to 15 places). This year it will be held at the Technology Institute of Monterrey in Mexico City, all places have been allocated.
Who do I contact?
If you are interested in getting involved with GALA and would like the opportunity to receive a scholarship at a host institution the best way is to get in touch with the international office. GALA lecturers are there to inform and advise you about international involvement and can help you through the application process.
Useful GALA contacts;